ArtWorks was designed to introduce young visitors to art through experiential learning. Popular with patrons of all ages, the interactive gallery complements the Museum’s permanent collection and features exhibits by regional artists.
Visitors to ArtWorks have the chance to enter a miniature museum, a construction of Edward Hopper’s painting New York Office, space where movements are mirrored on a colorful video wall, and a giant kaleidoscope. Students can touch works of art, learn about materials and techniques (including printmaking, bronze casting, and art glass), and race cars on “a work of art.” Teachers love the tile wall (a community art project) based on the Fibonacci sequence. Parents visit the Upper Crust for imaginative play with their children.
In addition to the many exhibits, popular computer stations, and drop-in art activities and programs led by the ArtWorks Educator; ArtWorks Gallery Guides are available. The dynamic hands-on learning center was initiated by the Junior League of Montgomery in the 1980s and expanded in 2006. Alabama Power sponsors ArtWorks.
Hours & Groups
ArtWorks is free and open to the public Tuesday through Saturday, 10 AM to 5 PM and Sunday, Noon to 5 PM.
Groups of ten or more are welcome at ArtWorks but must make a reservation at least 48 hours in advance. Please contact the Tour Coordinator at email@example.com, call 334.625.4359, or complete this online request form.
Rules and Guidelines
Personal and Safety
- Visitors should wear attire appropriate to a public facility at all times. Proper footwear is required.
- Food, drink, and gum are not allowed in ArtWorks.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. The accompanying adult is responsible for the children’s compliance with visiting guidelines.
- One adult may supervise no more than four children.
- Please change little ones in the restrooms using the infant changing stations.
- The Museum requests advance notice for large groups (10 or more people).
- Conduct that poses any risk to the artwork, Museum staff, or other visitors is prohibited.
- Please be considerate of others and follow the instructions of security officers.
Strollers and Bags
- Standard-size strollers are allowed in the Museum when guided by an adult. Please note that some galleries may have restricted stroller access.
- All bags, purses, and backpacks larger than 11 x 9 inches must be carried by hand. The Museum does not permit visitors to wear bags, purses, or baby carriers on their shoulders or backs.
- The Museum requires visitors to check large backpacks, umbrellas, and other bulky items.
- The Museum is not responsible for lost items.
For a complete list of Museum rules and guidelines, please click here.
Visit ArtWorks on Thursday afternoons at 2:30 PM to explore the arts of different cultures. ArtWorks Educator Kelly Bazan will introduce young learners to the basic greetings, visual arts, music, clothing, and traditions of the country in focus. Connections will also be made to works in the Museum’s galleries. Classes are limited to 25 students. First come first serve.
- December: Kenya
- January: Austria
- February: Philippines
- March: Bahamas
Melissa Bowman of Simply Southern TV explores how ArtWorks is making learning fun for kids.